Frequently Asked Questions

If you cannot find an answer to your question, please contact us.

1. How much will it cost for these programs?

The cost for our “Short-Term” Programs is between $1500-$2500, plus international airfare. If you are interested in pursuing any of these opportunities, please check with the ERRChina office for details regarding dates and costs.

2. What is the Chinese school year like?

The Fall term in China runs from September to January. The Spring term runs from February to late June or early July. There is a six-week break between each semester, but the dates for the winter break varies depending on when the Spring Festival is. In addition, each semester has a one-week national holiday (National Day and May Day).

3. What are the minimum requirements?

Most importantly, you must be a professing Christian and have a vital and consistent walk with Christ. You must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree in any subject, and have some teaching experience. If your major is not English, a TESOL certificate will be required.

4. Where will I live?

The school will provide you with your own apartment consisting of a living room, dining area, bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom (with a western toilet). Your apartment will be furnished and linens are provided. In many cases, your apartment will have been used previously by another ERRChina teacher, who will leave essential items for you like cooking pots and pans and dinnerware.

5. Will I be paid for my teaching assignment?

Yes, as a member of the foreign faculty, you will be paid by the university. It won’t be much (maybe $1000 per month), but with your furnished apartment provided by the university, it is plenty of money to live in China with some savings. Many assignments also reimburse airfare costs, some only if you commit to teaching a full year in China.

6. How will I prepare for my teaching assignment?

A few schools in China will provide you with a syllabus or curriculum that you are required to use. But, it is much more common for you to be afforded a good deal of flexibility and creativity in how you structure your courses. ERRChina has a curriculum consultant to help you prepare, and other ERRChina teachers readily share materials with new teachers, especially to teach English writing or oral English.

7. What are my financial obligations?

Since host institutions provide housing and a stipend (as well as international airfare for most year-long contracts), financial obligations are very low. Each teacher must raise funds to cover a partnership fund and visa costs. After this, budgets are individually determined and depend largely on each person’s needs. ERRChina also requires that all teachers have international medical insurance, so many teachers raise support for this expense. Budgets can be as low as $4000 and as high as $30,000. (It depends on the length of the program and whether you are repeating the program.)

8. Will I need to raise support?

Even if you are independently wealthy, we encourage all of our Field Partners to raise up a team of prayer and financial supporters. This is one of the most humbling experiences as you prepare for your assignment in China, but at the same time, it is a way for those who love you and believe in Christ’s work in you to invest in a way that will make a difference in the lives of others. We will provide you will fund-raising materials, and offer feedback on your fundraising letter.

9. I’m interested! What is my first step?

The first step toward teaching in China is to talk with one of our recruitment staff so we can get to know you. In order for us to give you the best information about which openings might suit you, we suggest you send a resume or CV by email. After speaking to you and receiving your resume, we will send you application materials.

10. How does ERRC partner with its teachers?

ERRChina will secure you a placement in China and negotiate a contract. Once your placement is complete, we will help you attain a work permit and process your visa. We provide you with reading materials and orientation before departure, and ongoing communication (including pastoral visits) in the field. In the case of any issues, ERRChina will act as an intermediary to bring conflicts to a fair resolution. Additionally, we will help you raise support by providing you with guidance and processing your donations. We will help you with practical matters, like international medical insurance and travel arrangements. Additionally, we will provide you with teaching resources, spiritual reading, and information about where to get Christian resources in China. Each year, we hold a midyear retreat to provide fellowship, spiritual renewal, physical rest and refreshment. We will pray for you and serve as a resource for your home church. When you return home, we will provide you with debriefing and evaluation.

11. How do I practice my faith in China?

You are free to practice your faith openly in China. Foreigners can attend an international fellowship, and both foreigners and Chinese nationals can attend a three-self church for worship. You will also have fellowship with other ERRChina teachers. It is not permitted to proselytize in China, but you may answer student questions about your faith.

12. Do I need to speak Mandarin?

Because your students will be “required” to speak only English in your classes, you will not need to speak Mandarin to survive in China. We will provide some “basic” Mandarin lessons during orientation, and if you have time, you can learn more after you arrive.

13. Is there air pollution?

Just as you have heard on the news, there is air pollution in almost all Chinese cities. However, there are many clear and pleasant days where there is virtually none. There are some precautions that you can take to limit the effects of the pollution. If you have a respiratory condition, we encourage you to speak with your doctor before travel to China.

14. What immunizations do I need before traveling to China?

The CDC recommends that you are up-to-date on routine vaccines before every trip abroad, including travel to China. These vaccines include measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine, varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, polio vaccine, and your yearly flu shot. They also suggest a Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccination. If you have time, you can optionally also get the Hepatitis B vaccine.